APA (NSW) Member Update – SOT Recruitment
APA (NSW) Member Update
Monday 22 May 2017
APA (NSW) recently lodged a dispute in the Industrial Relations Commission (IRC) after NSWA made a significant change to the SOT recruitment criteria. In particular, NSWA put in place a requirement that ALL applicants applying for SOT positions would only be offered positions if their Deputy Director of Operations (DDO) agrees to release them.
APA (NSW) holds the following concerns with respect to this requirement:
- Its unfair and inequitable to block applicants from obtaining any position based on management not agreeing to release them.
- Management discretion leaves it open for management to mishandle or abuse the process.
- The requirement may prevent the best applicant/s for SOT position/s from obtaining the position/s.
We put forward our concerns and our strong view that all applicants, including DOMS, should be able to apply for SOT positions without restriction. After hearing the parties, Commissioner Murphy made the following recommendations which is to apply to the current recruitment process for SOT:
- Only DOMs and higher will be required to get approval from DDO prior to being offered a SOT position. All other applicants no longer have to get approval.
- NSWA is to meet with unions to discuss the review mechanism that will be in place for DOMs and higher should they believe approval has been withheld unreasonably.
We encourage members to contact the APA (NSW) office with any concerns you may have regarding the requirement or the SOT recruitment process in general.
APA (NSW) Executive
Your Choice, Your Voice
Keep up to date with APA (NSW) news at www.apansw.com.au/News
APA (NSW) members can communicate with each other in the APA (NSW) forum
A printable copy of this update may be found here.